Warning Signs of a Deteriorating Roof
Our roofs are the first line of defense for our homes against the elements, so the last thing we want to do is ignore a sign that the roof is failing. These signs may be the first indicator of a larger, more costly problem that could or already has occurred. You do not need to be an expert to spot these telltale clues, and there is no need to risk life and limb on a tall ladder.
- Curling Shingles. It is easy to spot curling shingles even from the ground level. Curling shingles can be a sign of a few different issues, but the most common is just age. No matter what the reason for the curling shingle it is a good idea to get it checked out by an expert. Curling shingles leave room for water to infiltrate your roof and lead to possible leaks and water damage.
- Granule Loss. Granule loss is easiest to identify after a large rain storm. Granules will wash off the roof and will come out the downspouts or you may notice some granules in your yard. Granule loss does not always indicate damage though; it is simply an indicator that weathering has taken place. Shingles are designed to weather. Granule loss will reduces the lifespan of your shingle since the granules are designed to protect the shingles from harmful UV rays.
- Missing or Broken Shingles. A missing shingle here and there does not seem like big deal, but it is. Much like we mentioned with curling shingles, any exposed area on your roof allows infiltration from water and even bugs. If allowed to perpetuate these weak spots in your home’s exterior can lead to larger and more costly problems down the road so make sure to contact an expert to take care of this issue right away!
- White Shine. Have you ever looked at a roof on a sunny day, and in a certain light is seems to have a white, shiny glisten? This white shine is an indication that the fiberglass mat on your shingle is visible and therefore exposed to the elements. This causes the fiberglass to become brittle, breaking and exposing your underlayment to the elements.
- If you are experiencing a leak, it is more likely that you have missed one of the above signs. At this point it is important to contact a professional to assess the damage to correct the problem and stop any further damage to your home.
For additional help in Rochester Minnesota with a deteriorating roof, roof repair or other roofing contractor needs please contact us!